Skip to main content

Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper

I'm back from my hiatus, with an old story. My best friend and I had been planning this photo shoot since forever. Ever since I was in elementary school (when the movie came out) there was lots of hype for Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper. My favorite was always Erika, mainly because in school, everyone loved Anneliese to death and there wasn't much love for Erika. So the initial plan was I would be Erika, but the friend who was supposed to Anneliese ditched the plan. I was overjoyed when my best friend Nehreen said that she wanted to do the cosplay with me. But she wanted me to be Anneliese, because she felt that a Princess would suit me better. However, I had already prepared my Erika dress, so we had to have our fingers crossed for the Erika dress to fit Nehreen. It was September 2018. I packed our costumes, accessories and makeup and headed over to Nehreen's house by car. Then she came downstairs and the three of us, including my mother, went to my aunt's house by rickshaw. The reason for choosing my aunt's house was that she has a beautiful rooftop garden with a variety of plants and also because it's close to Nehreen's house. We were warmly welcomed and we decided to iron the Erika dress since it was made out of linen and it crumpled already. We then took turns changing. Then we did our makeup together and it was fun. I felt like we were bonding when we were helping each other out with our makeup. Our accessories consisted of chokers, and it to top it off, a tiara for me and a flower crown for my best friend. When we came out of the room, everyone was pleasantly surprised by our cosplay. We went up to the rooftop garden. I realized that I wanted a book as a prop but I didn't bring one. So we sent someone to get a book from downstairs.
I meant this photo to be as if Anneliese is reading a story to Erika.
Days after we took this photo, we found that the building in our cosplay photo lined up exactly with the castle in the movie poster. What a coincidence.
This was when my dark hair was showing through the wig and Nehreen had to fix it. It's a candid photo.
This, on the other hand, was made to look like a candid.
Nehreen likes old buildings.
One of my friends said I look like a real princess in this photo.
One of our last photos of the day. I was also supposed to take instax photos that day but fate decreed that my instax camera would stop functioning that day. Moving on to our costumes, I didn't have much input with the Princess Anneliese dress. A Facebook page called Mridul's Cosplay Costumes made it for a reasonable price. And the Erika dress was made by a tailor. I made it a bit different from the movie version on purpose, because Erika's dress is not supposed to be more glamorous than Anneliese's one. After the photo shoot, we realized that both of our dresses were darker than the movie version but that was okay. Along with my Sailor Moon cosplay, this was one of my more known cosplays. I do plan on doing it again with my best friend, but hopefully it will be even better next time. It was Nehreen's first cosplay, and I hope she can do many more in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sailor moon tea party

The truth is, I'm the only one among my friends who likes sailor moon. So instead of having a cupcake tasting party (which really made no sense) I decided to have a sailor moon tea instead. I recently started with the manga and I have a long way to go! Firstly, I scoured the web for decorations but was kind of disappointed. I found an origami tutorial on YouTube but my origami skills suck. So I thought there should be papercraft patterns for compacts and what not. However, I found nothing related to compacts. There are amazing (and difficult!) patterns for moon sticks, lip rods and star wands though. http://aiko-chan14.deviantart.com The moon of the stick I made was more of a banana so it was thrown away. I did, however, make the inner senshi star wands and they came out great! Sadly I didn't have time for the outers' lip rods (I'm biased towards the outers). In the end, the compacts were made. I printed out various pictures of the compacts and glued them to paper